New Series Alert!! Basically, I did a bible study towards the end of last year (2016) off my own back. I was down in the dumps and just wanted to read something encouraging. This was my first time reading and making full notes for a whole book, and the impact it had was massive, I’m still living in the fruit of the things I learnt through this study, so I figured it could help other young people that are down or feeling stagnant or just don’t know exactly what to read. Keep reading, leave feedback and share!
“This one is for the laaaadiesssss”. And the dudes actually, we’ve got a little bit on relationships before moving on to having the right mentality living in this world. But it’s actually super potent, even though it’s fairly short today. Peter puts what we need to look for, what our mentality and attitude needs to be and the reasons for it very clearly and concisely, so once again make sure you’ve got your Bibles open while you read this. Hopefully you guys can repeat ‘Don’t be scared, be prepared’ to yourself throughout the week.
1 Peter 3
Wives & Husbands: Verse 1-7
- Inward beauty is the sign of a Godly woman. A girl who is content and pure in herself. This beauty is unfading, and is a guide to her husband. (v. 1-4)
- This is how it was in the Old Testament: Sarah, Esther, Ruth, etc. Girls that don’t do this are giving way to fear* (v. 5-6).
*Fear = peer and societal pressure and norms of today. To focus on the outside instead of the inside is giving in to these things
*Guys & girls, you need to actually be fully content by yourself. Your partner doesn’t complete you bro, don’t even let that thought get in your head.
*This is also the template to relationships. You gotta see the seeds of a guide in someone to be with them.
- You and your wife are partners in inheritance, treat her as such. You and your husband are partners in inheritance, treat him as such. The driver and the navigator need each other equally to have a successful relationship, so respect each other equally. (v. 7)
Suffering for Doing Good (v. 8-22)
- Live in harmony. We might all be doing different things but they must blend and complement each other. (v. 8)
- In order to have our blessing, we must decide to live differently by repaying every negative with positive. We must do good to everyone, not only for the sake of witness, but also for our own habits. If we get used to insulting and evil behaviour, we are tainting our own souls, and there is less/no room for Christ or Holiness. (v. 9-12)
* “The eyes of The Lord are on the righteous, and His ears are attentive to their cry, the face of The Lord is against those who do evil.” – Psalm 34:15-16
* “Do not fear what they fear, do not be frightened” – 1 Peter 3:14
- In this world, and in our society in general, we are free of physical harm when we do good in the sight of The Lord, so do it! Don’t be scared of what people might say or do for you doing good, always keep in mind who you are serving and do right by Him. (v. 13-15)
- Always be ready to talk about your reason for faith, for your happiness, joy and difference. But it has to be through love, gentleness and respect of people’s situations and background. We have to live and speak to the standard that people subconsciously expect us to be at, otherwise our faith makes no sense, and is easy to judge. (v. 15-16)
- Through Jesus’ crucifixion, He went and ministered to the lost souls! He never gave up on us, even after His death. These are the people from Noah’s time, who, through the flood, received a baptism of sorts. (v. 18-21)
- I am baptised, so I am now spiritually clean in God’s sight. The baptism is a symbol of the cleansing and participation in Christ’s resurrection. What a place to be! (v. 21-22)
- The inner beauty and purity of the wife/girlfriend guides the husband/boyfriend.
- Don’t be scared to live differently and be prepared to talk about the reason for your life.
- Jesus never gives up on us, and through Him we are saved and have the ability to.